One of the most glaring omissions from the Kindle Fire has been a true native Twitter application. Today, Twitter has made good on bringing a native Twitter application to Amazon’s hot-selling tablet. The Twitter official application is available today in the Amazon App Store for the Kindle Fire.
Version 3.1.0 of the official Twitter app for Android brings the following new features to Android users and Kindle Fire users alike. Note that the Nook Tablet version should be available this week as well, and it appears the Nook referenced below may be referring to the Nook Color.
What’s new in Version 3.1.0 (from the Amazon App Store)
- Swipe shortcut
- Improved scrolling and network performance
- Improved support for devices running Ice Cream Sandwich devices
- Support for Kindle Fire and B&N Nook
- Implemented new user avatar designs
- Links shortening for tweeted URLs without http://
- Enhancement to block users feature
- Contact sync off by default for new users
- Security improvements
- New languages: Filipino, Simplified Chinese
- Many other bug fixes, improvements, and polish
Twitter has also updated it’s iOS app as well with the same bug fixes and improvements, and can be downloaded from the iTunes App Store here. However, it appears that version 4.1 in the App Store only includes improvements for the iPhone.